FoodPlaces is a direct response to the question: “Why not food?”
Over the years, we posed this question at several consecutive annual conferences of the Partners for Community Forestry.
The seed of an idea germinated and took root.
Thanks to the vision of the National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council, Inhabit Earth received funding from the USDA / U.S. Forest Service to ensure that municipalities anywhere could easily incorporate productive landscapes into the public realm.
What if we could design our urban forests to address a whole slew of ecosocial challenges?
Urban areas and rural communities throughout North America strive to preserve, protect and enhance their urban forests.
However, many are often faced with ever shrinking budgets and the need to be responsive to ecosocial challenges, such as food insecurity, blight, and poverty; competing development interests; and climate destabilization.
The great news is that we can solve for these and the benefits are many well beyond the obvious ecological benefits of urban forests.
Urban food forests, or foodscapes:
- produce food, fuel, fiber, feed (forage/fodder), and “farmaceuticals” (plant-based medicines
- increase community resilience, by emphasizing primary production locally and regionally
- stimulate economic revitalization, by
- creating opportunities for meaningful livelihoods (not just jobs) and
- regenerative enterprise;
- while providing increased food/material security for residents.
- sequester more carbon below ground and in plants than natural forests; and
- inspiring healthy living, connect people with their food, and revive cultural practices around growing and preparing food.
At Inhabit Earth, our goal is to see food growing in every underutilized space – in medians, right-of-ways, parking lots, side of highways, parks, churchyards, empty lots, traffic circles, greens and squares…
In short, EVERYWHERE!
So, we set out to make it as simple as possible for people in communities anywhere to answer in the affirmative:
“Why not food!”
We have carefully designed easy-to-use process that guides users in selecting appropriate productive (edible/useful) plants for any situation, while minimizing liabilities and conflicts inherent when operating in the public realm.
The innovative tools, and accompanying resources, available at FoodPlaces, our open source portal, all but eliminates barriers, such as the need to be intimately familiar with hundreds of productive species of plants before using them.
Here you will find:
- The Plant Wiki – a global, multimedia, wiki-style library of thousands of productive plant species;
- The Species Index – a database of hundreds of perennial productive plants for North America used as a palette for assembling foodscapes;
- The Foodacape Tool – a step-by-step, guided process for assembling foodscapes using innovative pattern-language technology;
a hanful of resources:
- a Glossary – definitions for terms and concepts relevant to foodscapes, productive placemaking and using the FoodPlaces platform
- Foodscape Profiles – an in-depth look at various foodscape templates and on-the-ground examples;
- a Pattern Library – plant types, plant growth forms, climate patterns, visual guides, practices and much more;
- Publications– FoodPlaces toolkit and other related documents;
- Pattern Language OS – a deep dive into how we use pattern language to build FoodPlaces;
- and Perennial Culture – an ethnobotanical exploration of what to do with food everywhere;
and some great features:
- The Understory – a blog with regular posts featuring:
- profiles on productive plants,
- new foodscape patterns for all types of spaces,
- and provocative musings about FoodPlaces;
- FoodPeople – a social-network-style community of practice, where you can
- connect with others,
- share your foodscape experiences, and
- help us crowd source even more wiki entries, database, and foodscape patterns!
Kunshan Daliang Plastic Mould Co., Ltd was established in Kunshan city of China on Feb 2006. We are a professional manufacturer engaging in high-precision plastic injection tooling and high quality injection products. We have a variety of senior engineers and technicians for ensuring the good tooling design and stable injection…[Read more]
Shenzhen Sunsoar Circuit Technology
SHENZHEN PENGZEXIANG TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
Shenzhen Sunsoar Circuit Technology is specialized in Printed Circuit Board & PCB Assembly including components sourcing, functional test and complete assembly for clients all over the world.
All of our base materials and process can meet ROHS and UL international…[Read more]
JY-MO Engineering Co., Ltd. is established in the year of 2007 and registered as JY-MO Design Company at the very beginning which only offer product design and mould design service for customers. It is located in Huangyan—-“the Mould Town”, “China Auto Parts Production Base” and “China Auto and Motor Parts Base”. JY-MO are a…[Read more]
● Our History
Guangzhou Jianyuan Biological Technology Co., Ltd was established in 2001, which specialize in development and production of hair care products more than 10 years!
Until now, we have 26 foreign sales, 14 product research personnel, and 34 relevant service staff, each year we provide ten millions of dollars products to world’s l…[Read more]
Initially,we are the world brand quality inspector for the bike OEM business in China. With more than ten years professional experience, we already build up the comprehensive bike industry channel with high quality level.To provide the flexible and fast service,and keep close to the customer in one stop, we started our own bike components business…[Read more]