FoodPlaces is a direct response to the question: “Why not food?”
Over the years, we posed this question at several consecutive annual conferences of the Partners for Community Forestry.
The seed of an idea germinated and took root.
Thanks to the vision of the National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council, Inhabit Earth received funding from the USDA / U.S. Forest Service to ensure that municipalities anywhere could easily incorporate productive landscapes into the public realm.
What if we could design our urban forests to address a whole slew of ecosocial challenges?
Urban areas and rural communities throughout North America strive to preserve, protect and enhance their urban forests.
However, many are often faced with ever shrinking budgets and the need to be responsive to ecosocial challenges, such as food insecurity, blight, and poverty; competing development interests; and climate destabilization.
The great news is that we can solve for these and the benefits are many well beyond the obvious ecological benefits of urban forests.
Urban food forests, or foodscapes:
- produce food, fuel, fiber, feed (forage/fodder), and “farmaceuticals” (plant-based medicines
- increase community resilience, by emphasizing primary production locally and regionally
- stimulate economic revitalization, by
- creating opportunities for meaningful livelihoods (not just jobs) and
- regenerative enterprise;
- while providing increased food/material security for residents.
- sequester more carbon below ground and in plants than natural forests; and
- inspiring healthy living, connect people with their food, and revive cultural practices around growing and preparing food.
At Inhabit Earth, our goal is to see food growing in every underutilized space – in medians, right-of-ways, parking lots, side of highways, parks, churchyards, empty lots, traffic circles, greens and squares…
In short, EVERYWHERE!
So, we set out to make it as simple as possible for people in communities anywhere to answer in the affirmative:
“Why not food!”
We have carefully designed easy-to-use process that guides users in selecting appropriate productive (edible/useful) plants for any situation, while minimizing liabilities and conflicts inherent when operating in the public realm.
The innovative tools, and accompanying resources, available at FoodPlaces, our open source portal, all but eliminates barriers, such as the need to be intimately familiar with hundreds of productive species of plants before using them.
Here you will find:
- The Plant Wiki – a global, multimedia, wiki-style library of thousands of productive plant species;
- The Species Index – a database of hundreds of perennial productive plants for North America used as a palette for assembling foodscapes;
- The Foodacape Tool – a step-by-step, guided process for assembling foodscapes using innovative pattern-language technology;
a hanful of resources:
- a Glossary – definitions for terms and concepts relevant to foodscapes, productive placemaking and using the FoodPlaces platform
- Foodscape Profiles – an in-depth look at various foodscape templates and on-the-ground examples;
- a Pattern Library – plant types, plant growth forms, climate patterns, visual guides, practices and much more;
- Publications– FoodPlaces toolkit and other related documents;
- Pattern Language OS – a deep dive into how we use pattern language to build FoodPlaces;
- and Perennial Culture – an ethnobotanical exploration of what to do with food everywhere;
and some great features:
- The Understory – a blog with regular posts featuring:
- profiles on productive plants,
- new foodscape patterns for all types of spaces,
- and provocative musings about FoodPlaces;
- FoodPeople – a social-network-style community of practice, where you can
- connect with others,
- share your foodscape experiences, and
- help us crowd source even more wiki entries, database, and foodscape patterns!
Established in 2000, Zibo HOLY Masterbatch Co.,Ltd is one of the leading plastic masterbatch manufacturer in China, located in Eastern Chemical Zone of Zibo, Shandong province with convenient land, sea and air transportation, the premises cover production capacity of 50000 tons annually, 11, 000 square meters, 10 high intelligent and automatic…[Read more]
Founded in 2011, Shenzhen WT Hardware And Plastics Limited takes pride in meeting and exceeding in customr requiremets. WT is located in Shenzhen, where is the Chinese mold manufacturing center is in.
We WT are professional in moulds and molding parts, we also support structure design and offer assistance in material selection. You are welcome to…[Read more]
Zhejiang Wujing Machine Manufacture specialize in the design, manufacture and supply of high quality mining machines, wear parts, and engineered parts for the mining and quarrying Industries. Our enterprise is established in 1993. We are one of largest mining machinery manufacture enterprise and one of the largest production bases…[Read more]
TKflor is a professional bus floor manufacturers and suppliers in China with great no slip flooring projects and hot sales on going, welcome to buy customized products from our factory and check prices with us.
Dense concentration of deep inlaid anti slip particles throughout the wear layer =>; Permanent slip performance R10
No carborundum =>;…[Read more]
Shaoxing Hengli Necktie & Fashion CO.,LTD is one of the biggest manufacturer of silk and polyester woven tie and fashion dress accessories ,like bow tie , pocket square , silk scarf , waistcoat and high-class jacquard dress fabric .
We’ve been a leader in the industry for 23 years, we own 150 advanced jacquard machines and 500 professional…[Read more]