FoodPlaces is a direct response to the question: “Why not food?”
Over the years, we posed this question at several consecutive annual conferences of the Partners for Community Forestry.
The seed of an idea germinated and took root.
Thanks to the vision of the National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council, Inhabit Earth received funding from the USDA / U.S. Forest Service to ensure that municipalities anywhere could easily incorporate productive landscapes into the public realm.
What if we could design our urban forests to address a whole slew of ecosocial challenges?
Urban areas and rural communities throughout North America strive to preserve, protect and enhance their urban forests.
However, many are often faced with ever shrinking budgets and the need to be responsive to ecosocial challenges, such as food insecurity, blight, and poverty; competing development interests; and climate destabilization.
The great news is that we can solve for these and the benefits are many well beyond the obvious ecological benefits of urban forests.
Urban food forests, or foodscapes:
- produce food, fuel, fiber, feed (forage/fodder), and “farmaceuticals” (plant-based medicines
- increase community resilience, by emphasizing primary production locally and regionally
- stimulate economic revitalization, by
- creating opportunities for meaningful livelihoods (not just jobs) and
- regenerative enterprise;
- while providing increased food/material security for residents.
- sequester more carbon below ground and in plants than natural forests; and
- inspiring healthy living, connect people with their food, and revive cultural practices around growing and preparing food.
At Inhabit Earth, our goal is to see food growing in every underutilized space – in medians, right-of-ways, parking lots, side of highways, parks, churchyards, empty lots, traffic circles, greens and squares…
In short, EVERYWHERE!
So, we set out to make it as simple as possible for people in communities anywhere to answer in the affirmative:
“Why not food!”
We have carefully designed easy-to-use process that guides users in selecting appropriate productive (edible/useful) plants for any situation, while minimizing liabilities and conflicts inherent when operating in the public realm.
The innovative tools, and accompanying resources, available at FoodPlaces, our open source portal, all but eliminates barriers, such as the need to be intimately familiar with hundreds of productive species of plants before using them.
Here you will find:
- The Plant Wiki – a global, multimedia, wiki-style library of thousands of productive plant species;
- The Species Index – a database of hundreds of perennial productive plants for North America used as a palette for assembling foodscapes;
- The Foodacape Tool – a step-by-step, guided process for assembling foodscapes using innovative pattern-language technology;
a hanful of resources:
- a Glossary – definitions for terms and concepts relevant to foodscapes, productive placemaking and using the FoodPlaces platform
- Foodscape Profiles – an in-depth look at various foodscape templates and on-the-ground examples;
- a Pattern Library – plant types, plant growth forms, climate patterns, visual guides, practices and much more;
- Publications– FoodPlaces toolkit and other related documents;
- Pattern Language OS – a deep dive into how we use pattern language to build FoodPlaces;
- and Perennial Culture – an ethnobotanical exploration of what to do with food everywhere;
and some great features:
- The Understory – a blog with regular posts featuring:
- profiles on productive plants,
- new foodscape patterns for all types of spaces,
- and provocative musings about FoodPlaces;
- FoodPeople – a social-network-style community of practice, where you can
- connect with others,
- share your foodscape experiences, and
- help us crowd source even more wiki entries, database, and foodscape patterns!
TAIZHOU JARILA ELECTROMECHINAL FACTORY
TAIZHOU ZHEJIANG , CHINA
WORKERS 50 People
ENGINEERS 8 People
MONTHLY PRODUCTION 2000PCS
COVERS 3000 Square meters
Fotis Dental Laboratory, located at Shenzhen city, is a full service China dental lab providing outsourcing service. With over 100 technicians and equipped with up-to-date equipments on floor area of 1700 square meters, and as an ISO and FDA certificated dental lab, we specialize in the fabrication and timely delivery of fine dental crown and…[Read more]
♦ Direct manufacturer,
♦ 9 years OEM&ODM experiences,
♦ Rohs,FCC,CE,EMC Certification,
♦ Low Cost and Affordable Price,
♦ Producing about 1000 sets per month,
♦ Free logo upgrade and language upgrade,
♦ TQM operation,
♦ ISO9001 certification,
♦ 18x patents,
♦ MOQ 1 Set/Sets,
♦ After-sales response within 48 hours
Delton is a manufacturer of SMD 2835 Flexible LED Strip Lights with well-equipped testing facilities and strong technical force. With a wide range, good quality, reasonable prices and stylish designs
SMD 2835 Flexible LED Strip Lights Specification:
1.LED: SMD 2835 high lumen high CRI LED
2. LED Quantity:60pcs/M
3. Circuit Board: Flexible Print…[Read more]
Our PET promotion cups is highly transparent,eco-friendly,smell-less,and beautiful in appearance. We have printing machine,which can print max 9 colors logo on the cup. Customer can have their own printing logo on the cup to build their own brand and expand their popularity. Our cups are all compliance…[Read more]